All UrbanPlay© programs are led by certified UrbanPlay© instructors who are trained to customize programs, teach lessons, work with K-12 students, and encourage collaboration among all participants. UrbanPlay classes combine EDUCATION and PLAY to increase motivation and ability to build healthy habits.
General UrbanPlay Class Structure:
- Warm Up. To engage the class, UrbanPlay© devotes the first portion of each session to interactive games that get kids up and moving. Sample warm ups include Simon Says and EveryBody’s IT with a fitness-focused approach. For new classes, UrbanPlay incorporate ice breakers to get kids interacting and learning about each other.
- Education. UrbanPlay© incorporates 1-2 mini-lessons about various fitness and wellness topics, such as facts about the human body, exercise, nutrition, and fitness. Sample education lessons include the relationships between physiology and specific exercises.
- Play. Every mini-lesson is followed by a game that reinforce what they just learned. Depending on the length of the class, the number of games/activities will vary.
- Review and Reflection. UrbanPlay© devotes 10 minutes at the end of each class to review and reflect upon the day’s lessons and activities, helping students better understand and develop strategies for implementing the material into their daily lives.
How We Customize Each Program:
UrbanPlay© will meet with school and organization administrators to discuss customizing the program and plan the program’s schedule. UrbanPlay© uses the following variables to customize programs for schools, after-school programs, and youth organizations:
- Participant Age. To engage participants in the program, UrbanPlay© structures its program with age-appropriate play and education. Programs for younger children incorporates more games, while programs for preteens and adolescent incorporates more traditional fitness training modalities such as circuit training and boot camps.
- Instructor-to-Student Ratio. To ensure individual safety and class quality, UrbanPlay© provides at least one instructor for every 10 students.
- Session Frequency and Duration. UrbanPlay© customizes its program to the organization’s schedule, offering 30-90 minutes sessions, up to 5 times a week.
- Class location. Our program requires an open space where kids are able to safely move around. It can be outdoors or indoors. The space requirement is dependent upon the number of participants per class. Ideally, the space should be big enough so participants can freely run around.
- Equipment. To streamline resources, UrbanPlay© provides equipment for all activities. Instructors also create props and tools using affordable materials. If the organization wishes to use its own equipment to supplement the activities, UrbanPlay© instructors can coordinate with school officials to use their equipment.